Friday, September 6, 2013

SURPRISE!

I see that some of you diligent followers still check this blog for updates even though there has been nothing new in almost three years. THAT is dedication, and loyalty, and every other characteristic that great friends posses! There are a couple of reasons that I stopped blogging. 1. I was extremely busy with school and kids and...life! and I often got behind on posting so by the time I did post I had 6 months worth of stories and pics to put up which always took a good couple of hours. But, like I said, I was busy!! 2. I sort of lost interest in the whole blogging concept and I guess I thought that because I didn't care anymore, no one else really cared either (I'm not narcissistic, I swear). But, I see now that blogging is still the thing to do and since I am no longer in school I have a bit more free time. So, let's try this again, shall we?!

 As mentioned, it has been nearly three years since my last post. I will not take the next couple of hours to bring you up to speed on stories and pics from the last three years but, instead, will just plop you down in our life as it is now and go from there.

We are living in Manchester, Tennessee (and loving it!!!). We've been here since June 7th and have already made a few friends and settled right in. Because we are back in the south and so close to Alabama, Ben feels like he's back home. And because Tennessee is so green and woodsy, it reminds me of Oregon so I also feel like I'm back home. And doesn't it always feel great to be home?!






Ben graduated with his degree in civil engineering in May and was hired very quickly after by the Tennessee DOT where he does lots of project management work overseeing road and bridge projects. He really enjoys the guys he works with and is feeling super comfortable in his office's laid back atmosphere. He has been fishing once since we moved here (a drastic! change from Utah), but I know he is itching to go more!


 







I am not in school anymore and not taking care of kids all day because Bubba started preschool; the first day that I was home by myself I had a small identity crisis but...I got over that pretty quickly and now spend my mornings reading, playing the piano, working on stuff for my church callings, and various chores and projects. My main calling in church is writing the ward blog which is uh-mazing! And I also work part time doing non-medical, in home senior care which is also uh-mazing because I get to go hang out with elderly people which I love!









Madeline started third grade and has adjusted so incredibly well to her new school. She is bouncing out of bed at 6:30 every morning; today, she made her and Bubba's lunches before I even got up! She keeps her room spotless and makes her bed every morning (I don't even know the last time I made my bed). She is doing very well in her academics and has two little friends whom she does everything with! She has recently gained a fashion sense and loves to mix and match all sorts of colors and prints and jewelry and bows. It's so fun to see her grow and mature. She's going to be an amazing woman someday!!!








Our little Hayes isn't so little these days. He is still quite active but learning to follow rules better which is saving my sanity a bit. He absolutely loves school, loves people, loves books, loves to laugh and make others laugh, loves dogs, loves to cuddle at bedtime, loves chocolate, and loves to dress up in ties and penny loafers whenever he can. The last time I posted, Bubba wasn't talking yet but we found once he did start talking that he has a speech delay. At first, he omitted all consonant sounds which was ok when he was only saying one word at a time but as he started putting sentences together it became a problem. He has been in speech therapy for the last year and has made great improvements! He is not caught up with the other kids his age but is more understandable by strangers than ever before. He is still in the speech program through his preschool and we are hoping that he will be ready for kindergarten next year!







 For those of you who love animals like we do, I'll give you an update on the pets too. And if you don't love animals then...you have no heart...Kidding! But you will either have to suffer through or skip over this part.





Beau is our oldest. He is a pug and will turn three this month. He is very, very cuddly with his mama (that's me), loves to greet people by jumping up on them so they can reach is head to scratch it without having to bend down (he's thoughtful like that), is a grumpy Gus in the mornings and usually stays in bed long after everyone else in the house has gotten up, and is happiest when he runs away from home to explore the surrounding neighborhoods. He's playful, and naughty, and funny, and loud because he is always struggling to breathe (it's a pug thing).









Johnny is our feline grandson (Maddie's son). He just turned one in July and is the quietest member of the family. He has been declawed but has honed his hunting instincts since we moved here by catching, playing with, and then eating flies, moths, spiders, and beetles all night long. He is also very cuddly...when he wants to be and although he loves Beau, he is slightly less fond of Abby. 










Which brings us to the last member of the pack, little miss Abigail. We adopted Abby during our move. And when I say during, I mean during! We drove from Utah to Arkansas and then stayed there for a few days before heading to Tennesee for good. While in Arkansas we met Abby who we just could not pass up. She was so incredibly sweet!!! She was 5 1/2 weeks old and weighed 9 lbs back at the begining of June and now, at 4 months old, she weighs 48 lbs. She is a big, floppy eared, gangly, awkward Bullmastiff puppy and is still just as sweet as the day we met her. She loves, loves to be outside but with the cooler time of year around the corner we are working on potty training so she can be in the house more often.









 That's about it for this update. Stay tuned for more!! XOXO

No comments: